Palacio De Meres
In 1990 the Palace of Meres and its surroundings were catalogued as an Asset of Cultural Interest with the category of Monument. In order to guarantee the necessary conservation and restoration work on the monument, the owner family took the initiative to open their house. Since 1996 and until today, the 21st generation of the family branch organizes all kinds of events in its 11 hectares of heritage property; it is the scene of events, celebrations and film shoots.
Palacio de Meres, S.A., is a family business formed by the descendants of the owners of the Palacio de Meres since the 13th century. It has been working since 1990 with the strong commitment to preserve the Palacio de Meres, with the firm decision to continue with this arduous conservation work, aiming, with the numerous restoration works that are carried out each year, to return the Palace to its former splendor.
We are very excited about this project. The palace and the family are closely linked to music. In the Chapel of Santa Ana, the musical groups Capilla Musical Palacio de Meres and Cantvs Asturicvm rehearse weekly.
The first known settlement in Meres corresponds to the circular defense tower (XIII – XIV century) destroyed by order of the Catholic Monarchs. Nowadays, only its remains can be seen at the back of the llagar. The first construction of the Palace of Meres dates from the first half of the 15th century, but it was not until the end of the 16th century that it was rebuilt and enlarged.
Likewise, the chapel was initially a hermitage dedicated to Santa Ana in the 15th century, of which only the main altarpiece is preserved (partial restoration in 2023) located on one side of the current temple; and its main carving, currently at the top of the Central Altarpiece. The second stage dates from 1585, when the family patrimony increased, transforming the chapel and making it a subsidiary of the Parish of Santa María de Tiñana, serving as a place of worship for the parishioners of the town.
The third and current chapel was rebuilt and enlarged in 1690. In 1707, the Abbot of Arbás, Francisco Argüelles de Meres, blessed the new temple, dedicating it to Nuestra Señora del Amparo. Due to its dimensions, the chapel of Santa Ana is considered one of the largest private chapels in Spain.
It is a place of pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago. Accreditation is given to about fifty pilgrims a year.