Landfort House is one of 551 remaining historic country houses in the Netherlands. It is located near the border with Germany, about two hours east from Amsterdam. The estate consists of the neoclassical manor house, the coach house, orangery, Ottoman-style dovecote, pleasure ground, and kitchen garden. Once there were thousands of such beautiful places in this country, where members of the elite would enjoy their summers away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
First mentioned in 1434, Landfort House has a long and eventful history. The property changed hands many times and its successive owners adapted the manor house and garden to changing tastes. In 1825, the manor house took its present form.
In the final days of World War II, the estate took a heavy toll and afterwards the manor house remained derelict for a long time. When the Landfort Heritage Foundation acquired the estate in 2017, the property underwent an extensive restoration programme that concluded in 2022.
The manor house has been restored to its former splendour of the early 19th century, and the lay-out of the pleasure ground again reflects the design of that same period. The coach house, which was destroyed in 1945, has been rebuilt, and the adjacent kitchen garden with its long espaliered fruit wall has been reinstated.
A key objective of Landfort Heritage Foundation is to sustainably maintain Landfort House and secure its conservation into the future. Over time, Landfort House will become the national centre of Dutch country house culture.