Rector’s Palace

Croatia

During the 14th century, the Republic of Ragusa expanded westward in two major phases. In 1333, it acquired Ston and the Pelješac Peninsula, and in 1399, it purchased the region of Primorje—referred to in historical Dubrovnik documents as Terre Nuove—from the Bosnian King Stjepan Ostoja. Slano soon became the administrative center of the Primorje Countship.

Over the following centuries, Slano evolved into a thriving international port, complete with two shipyards, salt warehouses, and bustling markets for salt, livestock, and grain.

Each Countship was governed by a Count, elected from the nobility. Initially, the term lasted between three to ten months, later extended to one year from 1635 onward. The first Count of Primorje was Lovro de Bodacia, who assumed office on May 29, 1399. His role included overseeing governance, administering justice in both civil and criminal matters, and managing tax and fee collection.

The site for the Count’s residence and garden in Slano was designated in 1399, during the territorial division of the new Countship. The original residence was likely a temporary wooden structure, strategically built on elevated ground with strong defensive potential above the local stream.

The first permanent palace, constructed in the Gothic-Renaissance style, was completed in 1447. An inscription above the upper-floor door commemorates its completion and names Count Drago Rafael di Gozze as its first resident.

Unlike the grand palaces of Dubrovnik, the Rector’s Palace in Slano was primarily functional—designed to withstand pirate raids and control the valuable salt trade. The southern façade featured a Gothic-style entrance with a defensive corridor, arrow slits, and a stone platform. The courtyard included a dungeon and a pillory, now restored to their original positions.

Upstairs, an external staircase led to the Count’s official quarters and the chancellor’s office, where the archives of the Countship were stored.

The Palace shared in the turbulent history of the Republic of Ragusa. It suffered repeated damage from earthquakes—notably the devastating quake of 1667—and was burned during the Montenegrin assault in 1806. In 1831, district engineer Lorenzo Vitelleschi redesigned the ruined structure into a residence for the pretorial administrator, including his living quarters, offices, and prison facilities.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the building was sold to merchant Jelić, who converted it from an administrative-fortified structure into a private residence.

Tragically, during the Serbian aggression on Croatia in 1991, the Palace was once again set ablaze, along with much of Slano.

Thanks to a dedicated restoration effort by the Society of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiquities, the Palace was fully reconstructed in May 2017. The project followed strict conservation guidelines to restore the building’s historical administrative and defensive functions, faithfully preserving its original 15th–18th century architecture.